By Professor Diesel @Diesel_vftr
Welcome back to the Raw Report Card, I knew you’d be back. I wish I could promise that this weeks report card was going to be the best ever, but that’s really up to WWE booking. I keep on sending my resume to the booking committee but they keep turning me down. They really don’t know what they’re missing. So what I can promise is I’ll grade everything accordingly, personal biases aside.
On the Road to Wrestlemania and the Elimination Chamber PPV only 3 weeks away, hopefully the action picks up. Hopefully the build starts to ramp up and we can get off the side streets on the Road to Wrestlemania. I honestly don’t know if that will be the case. I guess the best way for you to find out is to keep reading and take my word for it. Your other option is to watch Raw and form your own opinion, but you’re already here so save some time and keep scrolling down.
Bray Wyatt vs Roman Reigns
- Raw starts with a match rather than an in ring promo.
- I like how Coach compared the Elimination Chamber match to the playoffs.
This is the best match I’ve seen Bray Wyatt have in months. Funny how I say that with most of Roman’s opponents. I think that Roman has that special ability to bring the best out of everyone he steps foot in the ring with. This past few weeks I have been so tired of Bray, but this match almost rejuvenated him. Hopefully Bray can take some of the momentum he received in this match and build on it. Maybe next week Matt Hardy can lose to Roman and get some of that momentum as well.
Match Grade: B
Kurt Angle, Alexa Bliss Promo
- I like that Kurt struggled on say the first ever Women’s Elimination Chamber. It makes him feel more human than a robot. Believe it or not that’s a good thing.
- I like the points that Alexa is making. She’s right why does she get treated differently than the Universal Champion.
- Nia Should be in the Elimination Chamber match.
- I also don’t like that the women don’t have to qualify for the match. I know they are limited to the number of talent, but that’s a problem in itself. Maybe they should have thought of that before they booked this match.
I’m extremely excited for the Women’s Elimination Chamber match, don’t get me wrong. I just think they need to build up the division before they have this match. Every Raw Woman is in this match except for 2. Asuka won the Royal Rumble so she’s excluded, which leaves Nia the odd woman out. I know she gets a chance to added to the Women’s Championship match at Wrestlemania but why does she only have to defeat one person instead of 5? The WWE should probably start thinking more about the future then trying to make the future happen now with this division.
Segment Grade: C-
Bayley vs Asuka
- All the mentions to their feud in NxT.
- Even though Asuka looked dominant, it still was a competitive match.
Asuka is just so good, she deserves to be undefeated. Part of me is still amazed that the WWE has allowed her streak to last as long as it has. In this day and age it’s unheard of. Bayley had a great performance as well. Even though I’m down on the number of talent the Women’s Division has, I’m not discounting the fact they have some of the best talent this division has ever seen. This match wasn’t as good as last week’s Asuka vs Sasha Banks match in my opinion but it was still good.
Match Grade: B-
Miz vs Apollo Crews
- The Miz is the best heel in the company.
- I like the amount of tv time Apollo has gotten in the past few weeks.
- The ref in this match continues to have a problem with 2 counts sounding like 3 counts and this is a weekly occurrence.
Get Apollo Crews a better mouthpiece or teach him to be good on the mic and we have a star on our hands. This match was nothing special but successfully showcased Apollo in a positive way again. The Miz had to win this match so I have no gripes with how it turned out.
Match Grade: C+
The Bar vs Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns – Raw Tag Team Championship Match
- Roman and Seth work better together than Jordan and Seth.
- Unpopular opinion but I like Seth’s pants. They remind me of Chris Jericho from back when he was in WCW.
- Seth Rollins was the MVP of this match.
- Jordan got Roman and Seth disqualified when he was just trying to help. (Probably another unpopular opinion.)
- Don’t like that this is still for the belts when Roman is a replacement for Jason Jordan.
I liked this match a lot. This match told the best story of any match on the show. A lot of people do not like Jason Jordan but I do. I feel Jordan is playing this role to perfection. He’s Kurt Angle via 2000, and I love it. Both teams put in a great performance and even with the finish was the best match of the show.
Match Grade: B+
Nia Jax vs Unnamed Jobber
No likes or dislikes from this match. It was a squash and I’m ok with that. Last year at this time I couldn’t stand Nia Jax because of green she was. Since she is the most improved in the whole company and I eat my words from everything I said last year. Now she is one of my favorites and proves week in and week out that she’s not like most girls.
Match Grade: B-
Braun Stroman vs John Cena vs Elias
- The AA to Stroman on the ring steps.
- Love the Elias win.
- I hate the Cena spots where he acts like he can’t lift the big men. It would be all fine if we haven’t seen him lift every big guy in the history of the business short of Andre.
- They don’t make it clear why these 3 men get an opportunity to enter the Elimination Chamber last. It’s not really fair to the Miz and Roman Reigns.
I thought this match wasn’t going to hold my interest and I couldn’t have been more wrong. A lot of great spots in this match. I love that Elias won because he benefits from coming out in the Chamber last the most.
Match Grade: B-
I really enjoyed this week’s show. I thought the matches were great and it made a lot of progress heading towards the Elimination Chamber PPV. Roman Reigns pulled double duty and proved why he is called the “Big Dog”. there were a lot of progression with the women and even multiple angles going on at once. Thinking back I can’t really think of anything bad that really sticks out. This was a solid show and I wish we could have more like this one.
Show Grade: B
If you have any comments or you just want to chat about Raw. Or any wrestling at all, you can find me on Twitter @Diesel_vftr. You can listen to my podcast View From the Top Rope on Itunes, Google Play, Soundcloud, Stitcher, Podknife and Podible. In association with @kayfabeToday